Saturday, April 12, 2008

Life is like a Ticking Clock...

Woke up in the middle of the night with a bad sore throat and terrible cough. Unable to go back to sleep again...

Was reminiscing about my own life all these 30 odd years - my childhood, my parents, my education, my friends, my previous jobs, my career path, my love life, my wedding, my partner etc etc...

Looked at my "achievement" in life - Regine, who was sleeping soundly beside me...

Well, life is like a ticking clock - seconds, minutes, and hours just slip off without you realising it. A life-long lesson I have learnt - Cherish whatever you have in life, before you lose it and realise it is too late...

Does everything only come to a stand-still when our life end? Or perhaps there is an after life?

Then remembered a kiddy song which Greg's mum and I used to sing during our childhood, at the top of our voices, in our shared bedroom. Guess we did not even know the true meaning of this song at that time...

My Grandfather's Clock



My grandfather's clock
Was too large for the shelf,
So it stood ninety years on the floor;
It was taller by half
Than the old man himself,
Though it weighed not a pennyweight more.

It was bought on the morn
Of the day that he was born,
It was always his treasure and pride;
But it stopped short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

Ninety years without slumbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
His life seconds numbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
It stopped short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

No comments: