Friday, August 24, 2007

Dad's Almond Jelly

Dad had this recipe for almond jelly. He was always so proud of himself whenever he made the almond jelly for us. No one can ever beat him in this trademark dessert of his, not even my mum who tried but had to tolerate criticism from him in the end! (Well, mum was the one who took charge of the kitchen and everyday cooking previously). Well, Dad is no longer around to make almond jelly for us anymore...

Last Saturday, I tried making almond jelly for my Dad and Mum instead, as an offering during the 7th month. Preparations started on Thursday when I took a train back purposely, so that I can drop by the shop at Sembawang MRT Station to grab the incredients. I was excited, but lacked of confidence as I knew Dad's high standard on his almond jelly.

When I reached home, I searched frantically for Dad's almond jelly recipe but just couldn't find it anywhere. Quickly sms Greg's mummy who calmly assured me that she has the recipe (she has decided to inherit all of mum's recipes. Hope she masters Ma's excellent cooking skills one day as well!):

Soak a packet of agar agar in water for 4 minutes and drain. Mix 2 and half tea-spoonful of gelatin with some warm water. Pour 9 bowls of water in a pot. Add agar agar and boil till it melts. Add 700g of sugar and gelatine mixture. When mixture boils, add evaporated milk and 2 tea spoon of almond essence. Wait for mixture to cool and put in small containers. Refrigerate.

Also learnt from Dad that adding in some pandan leaves in the agar agar mixture will result more pungence. Check out my version of almond jelly:


Almond Jelly Mixture


Some cocktail to make it purr-fect!!

Am definitely proud of myself that I have mastered Dad's Almond Jelly (soft and sweet). This time round, it wasn't too tangy as the amount of gelatin was just right! I even tried cooking vegetable curry for my Dad and Mum on Sunday morning!

But sad to say, I can no longer hear Dad's praises nor see his smiling face anymore...

5 comments:

Barlalee said...

Didn't know you can cook? As far as I know, white rice is your speciality. I would be glad to some of your cooking. How about starting with our daily lunch. It's definitely be better than those at the SUBMIT.

Barlalee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mummy Barney said...

Well, my daily lunch catering starts at $12/pax/person. Menu as follows:

Monday
Spaghetti
Tuesday
Plain Rice
Wednesday
Spaghetti
Thursday
Plain Rice
Friday
Plain Porridge

Call 8784 for order....

Alyson Rozells said...

eh, the jelly really looks yummy! make some la for me to try ;)

your daddy will be very proud of you and he's surely smiling down on you :)

Alyson Rozells said...

no soup and rice? ;)